[ End of article ]
The Grace Baptist Church was formed October 27, 1907, with 10 charter members. At first meeitngs were held in homes until the Mission House was built on West 65th St. by Rev. Edward Flemming, year 1908. The meetings were held there until 1913, when it was sold and $1,500 were given to buy the lot and an old house at 1412 West 67th Street. That was rebuilt into the present church, has been remodeled with a lower auditorium and Sunday School rooms. The main inspiration and sacrificial spirit behind the work has been Alfred Kasen and his family. Untiringly they have spent time for the work.
The following pastors have served the church: Edward Flemming, 1906-1912; A. M. Myhrman, 1913-1916; J. E. Kasen, 1916-1919; Andrew Blomquist 1923-1929; Alfred Halmgren, 1938-1942; Severin Bernas, 1942-1945; Nathan Esselstrom, 1946; Glen Forsberg, 1947-1948; Lennart Bradly, 1949; Wm. H. Wrighton, 1950. The present student pastor is Calvin Churchill.
From 1929 to 1935 no regular services were held. Dr. W. Kenyon held services there for three years preceding 1938.
As of December 1950, there were 115 enrolled in the Sunday School, including 16 teachers. Lloyd and Barbara Williams preparing for missionaries, are among the teachers Mrs. Williams being the Sunday School Superintendent. The present church membership is 25.
Published in Fifty Years of Christian Stewardship 1901-1951. Prepared in commemoration of the Fiftieth anniversary of The Baptist Mission Union of America. 1951, p. 45-46.
[ Beginning of article ]