[ End of article ]
The Baptist work in Painesville began in 1908-9, when a witness from Duluth, Minn., Mr. Berglund came to preach to the Finnish-speaking people. In 1911 Henry Martikainen came from Finland and held meetings in various homes. By 1934 10 persons were baptized and that same year the church was organized by twelve charter members.
The following pastors have served the church: Viktor Holopainen 1934-1937, Toivo Tervonen 1938-1947, Leoinard Juntune 1947-1948, Topias Vainonen 1950 to the present time.
During the faithful ministry of Pastor Tervonen and the handful of members a church building was erected and was finished and dedicated in May 1943. Meanwhile the church burned in 1942 which tested the members faith severely, but it was renovated and paid for within five years.
The church has received financial support the latter years from the Ohio State Baptist Convention and prefers to remain as member of that fellowship.
Published in Sixty Years of Christian Stewardship 1901-1961. Prepared in commemoration of the Sixtieth anniversary of The Baptist Mission Union of America. 1961, p. 54-55.
[ Beginning of article ]