[ End of article ]

A Chronicle of the Bethany Evangelical Lutheran Church. Covington, Michigan

Armas K. E. Holmio

1898

The Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic Railroad Company had built a line from Nestoria toward Duluth through the virgin woods of the upper peninsula of Michigan. New settlements were soon born along this new iron highway, among them the villages of Covington and Watton, about fourteen miles from Nestoria. Passenger trains do not come to Covington any more; only a few freight trains roll by. But the highways US-141 and M-28 make the community easily accessible from the outside world.

The first Finnish families arrived in 1898, soon outnumbering the few French and Swedes who had moved in a little earlier. The deep forests offered an endless supply of cordwood and pulpwood. Gradually the forests diminished, and widening circles of potato, corn, and wreat fields and pasture lands surrounded the farms. However, together with farming, the lumber industry has remained the main source of income until this day. Increasing costs of farming and decreasing prices for milk have caused many farmers to leave in the recent years; some have found a better income in the mining industries in Michigamme and Negaunee. The changing economic conditions of the area reflect clearly in the membership statistics of the congregation, which are found at the end of this brief history.

1899

The first pastor to visit the new Finnish settlement was Kaarle Leonard Tolonen. He had graduated from the Mission School of the Finnish Missionary Society in 1868 and done pioneer work in Ondonga and Uukuanyama in S. W. Africa. He had arrived in America in 1888 and became the first pastor of the Ishpeming and Negaunee congregations. Champion was a preaching place in his parish; and while in Champion, Tolonen extended his home mission work to Covington, preaching and performing ministerial acts. Pastors who continued his work used to say that it was "easy to follow Tolonen's large foot-prints." Tolonen died at Ishpeming in 1902.

The first Finnish organization in Covington, however, was not a congregation but a temperance society, "Onnen Satama," "Harbor of Luck," organized on November 28, 1899.

1900

May 7, 1900 is the birthday of the Covington Evangelical Lutheran Church. Pastor J. J. Hoikka had called the meeting together, and it was unanimously decided to found the congregation. The following fifteen men are mentioned in the minutes as the founding members: Matti Anderson, Edward Herranen, Heikki Wooke, Jakob Matson, Otto Tarvainen, Gabriel Rajala, Oskar Hellman, Emanuel Korpi, Matti Friberg, Johan Lehtiniemi, Erik Eskeli, Vihtori Niemi, William Jakobson, John Haapa, Elias Nopola, and Lauri Oksanen. They joined, naturally, with their families. The first officers were: chairman Matti Anderson, secretary Edward Herranen, and treasurer, "kassa mies," Heikki Wooke. Hoikka was elected pastor, and it was agreed that he would come to Covington once every month, and that his monthly pay would be seven dollars. One dollar is paid to the family which gives the pastor room and board.

Pastor Hoikka was born at Rovaniemi in 1854 and had moved to America in 1873. He was ordained in the Augustana Synod in 1883, the first Finn ordained in America. From 1887 on he was pastor of the Swedish congregation at Crystal Falls from where he expanded his word to the new Finnish settlements in large areas and founded congregations. Hoikka makes four trips to Covington this year and Tolonen one.

Otto Tarvainen and John Haapa donate a lot, 100 x 50 feet, on which the congregation and the temperance society build a simple hall; 30 x 20 feet were the dimensions. The church has the priority in its use. For eight years this "huone," which was later moved to Watton where it still stands as the town hall, served as a church and hall.

1901

The first service in the new Church, as it is now called in the minutes, is held on January 18. Sunday School is started; the first teachers were August Huttula, Matti Anderson, and Otto Tarvainen. Pastor Hoikka conducted seven services. Income of the congregation was $144.50 and expenses $123.85.

1902

Six worship services were held. An average collection was $1.55; membership fees brought $52.11; the net income of an "iltama" was $65.48. William Jakobson is the new chairman of the congregation.

1903

The Sunday School teachers were Nikoteemus Sälliluoma, Matti Friberg, and Otto Tarvainen. The pastor's salary was raised to $10. Services were held eight times. Pastor Hoikka resigned. The new pastor was Bruno Vuornos, who had been ordained in Hancock on September 20, this year, and was in charge of the Amasa congregation.

1904

Pastor Vuornos moved to Ironwood, and Covington was now again without a minister. Pastor Otto Stadius, who had been ordained in Hancock on July 14, 1901, had just moved from Negaunee to Mass City and offered his services to Covington. He was elected on October 23 with 21 votes; pastor Albin Hukkanen received one vote.

1905

The congregation is divided into four areas for the purpose of collecting the membership fees. They were "Koukkarin perii," "Niemen perä," "Huttulan ja Haapa-Janin perä," and "Karvian perä." .

1906

Pastor Stadius resigned because "it is very difficult to get here from Mass City." The new pastor was Juho Kustaa Lammi, ordained in Finland in 1897, and pastor of the Ishpeming parish since 1903. Suomi Synod pastors conducted ten services and pastor Johan Urpilainen from the Finnish National Church, one.

1907

The annual meeting decided that only the duly elected pastor would be paid for his services. A church meeting, held on March 3, decided to build a new church, appointed a committee of six men to write a constitution, and decided that the congregation would remain independent. There was, however, a growing opinion that the congregation should join the Suomi Synod. A new meeting was held on October 20, the constitution of the Synod was read and approved by the majority, and the question of joining the Synod came to the final vote. There were 25 votes in favor and 12 against. The chairman, Viktor Ikkelä, declared that those favoring membership in Suomi Synod had won.

Six other congregations joined Suomi Synod this same year: Fort Bragg, Cal.; Uusi Savo, Wisc. ; Burton, O.; Kingston, Mich. ; Smithville, Mass.; and Clarksburg, W. Virginia. Suomi Synod had in 1907 109. congregations with a total membership of 24,000.

1908

The members who opposed the decision made on March 3, 1907, organized on March 8, 1908, the "Covington Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Independent National Congregation" with Elias Nopola as the first chairman.* This congregation joined the Finnish National Church on June 12, 1919, and later changed its name to "Trinity Lutheran Church."

The church of 1908.

Our Suomi Synod congregation had a meeting on March 15, when the treasurer, two church council members and three collectors of membership dues resigned. At the same meeting the congregation joined the Ishpeming parish. On May 17 a new meeting was held, at which it was decided to begin the building of a new church on Friday, May 29, on the hill in the center of the village. The lot had been donated by the DSS&A Railroad Company. The good men and women of the congregation worked hard, and their enthusiasm moved even others to give their helping hand. The church was ready in October. It was 36 feet long and 26 feet wide, without a steeple and bell; but yet it was a place, where to worship, and pray, and sing. Money used for the building was $553.95; but much of the labor was free. The first service in the new church was held on October 20. All bills were paid when the year ended, and the church treasury had a balance of $6.96.

Pastor Lammi had resigned during the year - he died on January 26 the following year. Albin Savola, who had served in the Finnish Missionary Society as a missionary in S. W. Africa, is the new pastor of the Ishpeming parish. His first visit in Covington is in August.

1909

The new church was dedicated by Dr. J. K. Nikander, president of the Synod, on October 27, assisted by pastors Savola and Wargelin. The Sunday School functioned from May to September with 19 children, of whom six attended every session and five only once. The teachers were J. K. Kytölä and John Helberg. A bank loan of $150 was taken for the interior work of the Church and a total of $58 was borrowed from 14 members.

The first "ompeluseura", founded 1908.

1910

All debts were paid. Pastor Savola conducted services once a month. Membership dues were 25c a month. 14 children attended Sunday School. Their achievements were carefully recorded in the minutes by J. K. Kytölä. The Ishpeming church council sent a letter suggesting that the worship services in Covington would be held on week-days and that the whole parish would have only one confirmation school, in Ishpeming. The unsigned letter is written by Savola. Covington agrees as to the week-day services, and Tuesday becomes now the new "Sunday.",

1911

The congregation refused the request to pay Suomi College 50c per confirmed member, but gave the Christmas collection to the school. One collection was given to the Finnish Missionary Society. There were 12 worship services, two of them with Holy Communion.

1912

There were 25 paying members from the 66 confirmed members. The annual meeting decided that only those who had paid their membership dues in full, that is, three dollars a year, were voting members, 15 this year. The congregation decided on a new name at a meeting held on March 2: "Rauhan Koti," "The Home of Peace." The congregation is incorporated under this name. Pastor Savola resigned and returned to Finland, where he died as rector of Forssa on December 8, 1934. Covington left the Ishpeming parish and sent a call to Pastor John Wargelin in Republic. He agreed. The monthly services were held on Thursdays or Fridays at 2 o'clock. A Summer School, "kesäkoulu," was started.

1913

The church acquired a steeple; ten had voted in favor and six against. It was built by, Viktor Ikkelä, and cost $502.

1914

The program nights, "iltamat," which were held on Saturdays, usually twice a year, continued as the greatest source of income. This year they brought $94.51 and $82.03. Summer School was discontinued, but Sunday School continued under the leadership of Joel Moilanen. The congregation favored the union discussions of Suomi Synod and the Finnish National Church, "on the condition that the name Suomi Synod is not changed." Church was open to the lay preachers "if the clergy agree."

Men at a church picnic in 1914. Front row from left to right: John Haapa, Henry Fräntilä, Joel Moilanen, Mikko Visuri, Antti Ahlholm. Standing, from left to right: Viktor Ikkelä, Johan Keskinen, Antti Seppälä, Johan Pikkumäki, Viktor Rombäck, Ananias Lind.

1915

A church bell committee was appointed by the annual meeting, and consisted of Mikko Wisuri, Joel Moilanen, John Lehtiniemi, John Helberg, and Isak Wainionpää. Pastor Wargelin resigned, and the congregation sent a call to Pastor Alvar Rautalahti in Ishpeming. However, the congregation voted, 15 against 2, not to join the Ishpe ming parish.

1916

The question of the church bell is postponed "because of a depression." The question of communion wine is discussed. The number of fully paid members was 33. The local school teacher Miss J. Mitchell served as organist. It was decided to close the Sunday School in January and February "in order to have mercy on the children" because of cold weather.

1917

The congregation subscribed the "Lasten Lehti" to all Sunday School children. Mrs. Thyra Rautalahti was elected the organist of the church "for festival Sundays." New pews were bought for the church.

1918

The pastor's salary was raised to $12. A two-day picnic was held for the benefit of the American Red Cross.

1919

The Sunday School began to subscribe the "Lasten Lehti" for all children; this custom is continued through the years. Four collections were taken for Suomi College. The church was newly painted gray with white windows and doors. The income was $1240.44 and the expenses were $1125.88. William Seppälä was elected correspondent for the Amerikan Suometar.

Some old-timers in 1958. Front row: Mrs. Anna Helberg, Mrs. Amanda Seppänen, Mrs. Edla Niemelä. Back row: William Mackie, Henry Fräntilä, Oskar Hakkarainen.

1920

There were major repairs in the interior of the church.

1921

It was unanimously decided to pay 5c for each confirmed member to the Suomi Synod treasury. Miss Lydia Hill served as the organist.

1922

Pastor Rautalahti resigned and moved from Ishpeming to Brooklyn, N. Y., after having preached his last sermon at Covington in May. In September, the new pastor of Ishpeming, Hugo Hillilä, preached his first sermon in the "Home of Peace." The Ladies' Aid, the "ompeluseura," gave $100 to the church.

The building committee of 1931-32.

Building of a new state highway made it necessary to move the church further back. At the same time the building was raised, a vestibule, a cellar, and the church parlors were built at a total cost of $896.70, not including 205 days of free labor. $300 was borrowed from the bank.

1923

A delegate was sent to Paynesville to discuss the possibility of a pastorate. Miss Emmi Visuri was the new organist.

1924

The synodical dues were now 8¢ per confirmed member. $48 was given to the Home Mission, $55.83 to Suomi College, and $38.57 to the Synod.

1925

The pietist leaders Väinö Malmivaara and Aukusti Oravala from Finland visited Covington in October. A balcony was added to the church. Suomi College received $50.85. Sunday School was conducted in homes during the winter months and in the church in summer. The church was in debt, $600.

1926

Pastor Armas Holmio from the Finnish Missionary Society visited Covington in July. Summer School was kept for two weeks in the same month. $66.40 was sent to Suomi College. The debt was down to $315.

Bethany Evangelical Lutheran Church.

1927

Pastor Hillilä resigned. There were negotiations with the Trout Creek area congregations concerning a new pastorate. Five pastors had applied for the parish. March 25th was the election day, and Covington gave its votes - 76 out of 82 - to Pastor Niilo Korhonen. However, no common agreement was reached by the congregations, and the practical result was that Pastor K. V. Mykkänen from Republic was asked to be in charge of Covington.

1928

The yearly salary of the sexton was raised to $20 plus the collection at the confirmation service. The church building was newly sided and painted light yellow. Pastor Viljo Heiman conducted the Christmas services.

1929

The Summer School was extended to three weeks. The congregation offered, On April 7, to build a parsonage for the new parish which was being organized. A lot, 270 by 270 feet, was bought for this purpose; the price was $125. Electric lights were installed in the church. All debts were paid.

1930

Pastor Mykkänen resigned, effective as of the end of the year, and Covington formally joined the Trout Creek pastorate. Covington lost, however, in its long efforts in the question of the parsonage which was finally erected in Trout Creek.

1931

Rev. F. W. Kaskinen was the new full-time pastor of the Trout Creek parish, and was able to give a considerable amount of his time to Covington. He conducted 32 worship services; the young people's organization, the "Nuorisoseura," inactive since 1926, was functioning again. The Ladies' Aid wad a great financial help to the congregation, which already was feeling consequences of the depression.

Professor Elmer A. Forsberg, head of the department of fine arts at the Chicago Art Institute, had offered an altar painting to the church. The offer was gratefully accepted. Prof. Forsberg was conducting a summer school of painting in Covington. His class continued in Chicago to work for the solution of the problem of remodeling and decorating the church. The church appointed a building committee: Joonas Wisuri, John Lehtiniemi, Eino Makelä, Ananias Lind, Oskar Hakkarainen, John Keskinen, Nels Autio, William Seppälä, and Pastor Kaskinen.

1932

The altar painting, "The Last Supper," painted by T. J. Johnson, Jr., under the leadership of Prof. Forsberg, was exhibited in the Chicago Art Institute. In the meantime, the building committee was busy enlarging and remodeling the church according to the plans drawn by Elmer A. Forsberg, Edward Westervelt, and Theodore Hofmeester, Jr., of the Art Institute. The sanctuary, a sacristy, and a sexton's room were added to the church. And at the Christmas service the altar painting, in triptych form and measuring approximately eight feet by twelve, was unveiled.

The Michigan Conference has its annual meeting in Covington.

1933

To the old system of collecting the membership dues from house to house, the bi-monthly membership envelopes were now added. Professor Forsberg's 50th birthday and the Conference Sunday School Days were events worthy of mentioning.

Church Choir 1934. Mrs. William Seppälä, director.

All the architectural changes in the church were completed. The wood paneling was largely the contribution of Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Carson of Chicago. The candelabra, the chandeliers, the six feet tall images of St. John and St. Peter, carved by Miss Sterling and Miss Tufts, the altar, the pulpit vyere all designated at the Chicago Art Institute. The rededication of the Church was conducted by the vice-president of the Synod, Dr. Alvar Rautalahti on August 13, assisted by pastors Mykkänen, Isaac, Kaskinen, and Hillilä. The text of the dedication sermon was Ps. 46:2-6.

The Covington congregation has now a unique church, transformed by artists' genius and skill into a beautiful shrine, which has become a tourist attraction in the Upper Michigan.

1934

Eino Mäkelä and William Seppälä, who had headed the building commtitee, presented their final report at the annual meeting. The costs of the remodeling and decorating of the church were $1,750 of which $450 was unpaid. The church members gave 475 free work days; the artists and the architects donated all their work.

1935

A year of quiet, regular work without major events.

1936

A decision was made not to open caskets in the church. Donations were received to replace the broken church bell. Pastor Kaskinen received one year leave of absence for reasons of illness in the family. Pastor Jacob W. Heikkinen took his place in the Trout Creek parish.

Church Board - Kirkkoneuvosto - 1958.

Six stained glass windows were installed; the medallion in each symbolizes a certain trade of the members of the congregation. They were designated by Mr. and Mrs. Schuyder of Chicago, who became interested in the shrine of the "Home of Peace." The windows were dedicated in August. Professor Forsberg, consul Aaltio, architect Hofmeester, and congressman Larson appeared in the festival occasion with brief speaches.

1937

The constitution and the by-laws of the Trout Creek parish were accepted. A new church bell was ordered from St. Louis, Mo. It weighs 600 pounds, and consists of 80% of copper and 20% of East India tin, costing $247.36. The new bell was dedicated on August 22 by President Haapanen. Pastor Kaskinen assumed his duties in the parish.

The Ladies' Aid - Ompeluseura - 1958.

1938

The synodical dues were $19.20, and the conference dues $2.88. The Michigan Conference Sunday School Days were held in Covington. The Ladies' Aid celebrated its 30th anniversary.

1939

Pastor Kaskinen had been elected to Kaleva and resigned. The election for a new pastor was on April 16, 67 members being present and giving 64 votes to Pastor M. N. Joensuu. He arrived from South Paris, Maine, in September.

1940

The 40th anniversary of the congregation was celebrated on May 26. $135.36 was sent to Suomi College. The congregation became free of debt.

1941

Mrs. Victor Hill and Mrs. William Seppälä were elected as delegates to the church convention in San Francisco. The congregation voted to support the Ministerial Pension Fund.

Bethany Sisters - Betania Sisaret - 1958.

1942

The Lutheran World Action received warm support. The question of English language services was discussed at the annual meeting; the matter was left with the pastor.

1943

Pastor Joensuu resigned and joined the U. S. Army as a chaplain. Pastor Otto Mäki was elected from three candidates as the new pastor of the Trout Creek parish.

1944

The pastor's salary was raised to $40. The congregation was active especially in the drives for Suomi College and the Lutheran World Action. A ladies' organization, "The Bethany Sisters," was organized.

1945

Pastor Mäki resigned, having accepted a call to Hibbing, Minnesota. The new pastor was Arvo J. Korhonen, who came from the neighboring Pelkie parish. $722.46 was collected for Suomi College. The dormant Luther League was active again.

Sunday School teachers, 1958.

1946

The Ladies' Aid gave $140 to the congregation, and The Bethany Sisters $195.67. Arvid Laturi and Wilho Helberg were delegates to the Hancock church convention.

1947

The congregation was active in the Lutheran World Action, Suomi College, and Home Mission drives. Mrs. A. J. Korhonen was the Summer Shool teacher.

1948

The Bethany Sisters moved at the annual meeting that the name of the congregation be changed to "Bethany Lutheran Church." The 40th anniversary festival of the church building was celebrated in September. Dr. John Wargelin and Pastor K. V. Mykkänen were the guest speakers.

1949

Services in the English language were begun. The membership dues were raised to $6. Dr. and Mrs. A. Haapanen were guest speakers at the parish summer festival in Covington. A central heating system for the church was installed at the cost of $1,100, which was paid by The Bethany Sisters; Eino Mäkelä, William Seppälä, and Wilho Helberg served on the committee.

The Luther League, 1958.

1950

The new name of the congregation, "Bethany Evangelical Lutheran Church" was approved by the Consistory and was formally adopted by the congregation.

1951

Birthday festivals, six or four times a year, have become a regular affair. A water pump was installed in the yard behing the sacristy. The Lutheran World Action received $158.

1952

The English services were discussed in both church and church board meetings. The church is newly painted. Pastor Korhonen resigned from the Trout Creek parish. The Covington congregation discussed in several meetings its relationship to the parish but decided to wait. The Sunday School has over 50 children.

1953

The church parlors were rebuilt; The Bethany Sisters donated $800 for this purpose. The Suomi Theological Seminary sent preachers to the vacant Trout Creek parish. The possibility of a new pastorate with the L'Anse congregation was discussed. The Covington congregation resigned from the Trout Creek parish, and sent a call to Dr. Armas K. E. Holmio of Suomi College and Theological Seminary. He accepted the call, and conducts two English and two Finnish services a month, beginning in December.

1954

Professor Arthur Hill from Suomi College served as the organist. The income in the church treasury was $2,539 and the expenses $1,912. The Ladies' Aid had an income of $166.97, The Bethany Sisters $922.00, and the Sunday School $225.43. Luther League was organized on April 28 under the leadership of Mrs. Eino Mäkelä. The League donated fifteen choir robes to the church.

1955

English and Finnish altar books and Bibles were donated by The Bethany Sisters. Miss Salome Mäkelä was elected organist. Mrs. Armas Holmio was elected director of the Vacation Bible School which is held in the local school house with 50 students. The Luther League donated $150 to the church. Mr. and Mrs. Rudolph Andreasson of Franklin, Michigan, in addition to their regular liberal support to the church, also donated the American and Christian flags, which were placed in the sanctuary with proper ceremony. The Luther League pays half of each member's fee attending the L. L. Bible Camp at Lake Nesbit.

1956

An additional lot was purchased from Wäinö Heikkilä. It is decided to continue the practice of giving a memorial Bible to each confirmation class member. The colletions at the 25 English services total $277.60, at the 25 Finnish services $276.56, and at the three bi-lingual services $84.95. Mrs. William Wisuri donated to the church an artistic altar cloth.

1957

The synodical dues of $698.42 are paid in full. The membership dues are $12. The Sunday School meets 30 times with 62 children and 12 teachers, and sends seven children to the Children's Bible Camp. There were 26 English, 27 Finnish, and 3 bi-lingual services, including 7 Communion services. The average attendance at the Finnish services was 34, and at the English services 44. The collections at the English services were $341.34, at the Finnish services $284.16, and at the three bi-lingual services $102.17. The kitchen was rebuilt and modernized at the cost of $2,035, which was paid by The Bethany Sisters. The Luther League, also, was active in this project.

Vacation Bible School, 1958.

1958

Rest rooms and a storage room were added to the church at the cost of about $3,000. Mr. and Mrs. Andreasson donated to the church the new Lutheran service books and hymnals. The 50th anniversary of the church was celebrated on September 13 and 14 with John Wargelin and Pastor Leslie Niemi as the guest speakers.

Membership statistics of the Bethany congregation

Men

Women

Children

Total

1909

29

26

52

107

1910

30

28

58

116

1911

32

28

58

118

1912

36

30

73

139

1913

35

28

60

123

1914

30

27

60

117

1915

35

30

70

135

1916

40

34

90

164

1917

58

46

110

214

1918

58

46

110

214

1919

58

46

110

214

1920

71

65

129

265

1921

90

92

120

302

1922

92

95

126

313

1923

92

95

126

313

1924

74

66

93

233

1925

74

66

93

233

1926

74

66

93

233

1927

64

53

148

265

1928

64

52

150

266

1929

64

52

150

266

1930

64

52

155

272

1931

70

59

156

285

1932

94

74

57

225

1933

97

75

50

222

1934

97

73

55

225

1935

100

73

52

225

1936

94

73

56

223

1937

93

72

49

214

1938

93

72

49

214

1939

83

74

43

200

1940

81

74

48

203

1941

80

76

53

209

1942

83

81

64

228

1943

83

81

64

228

1944

53

63

59

175

1945

64

69

61

194

1946

65

71

65

201

1947

68

53

64

185

1948

64

68

63

195

1949

57

53

56

166

1950

66

67

66

199

1951

66

58

68

192

1952

62

53

54

169

1953

56

56

55

167

1954

48

46

50

144

1955

48

42

49

139

1956

42

42

44

128

1957

45

49

47

141

These statistics, taken from them Kirkollinen Kalenteri, reflect the changing policies of the Synod in computing the membership statistics, but they reflect, also, the changing economic possibilities of the area.

Officers of the congregation

Chairmen:
Matti Anderson, 1900
Matti Friberg, 1900-01
William Järvenpää-Jacobson, 1902
John Lehtiniemi, 1903
Pastor Otto Stadius, 1904
Joonas Wisuri, 1905
Viktor Ikkelä, 1906-07
John Lehtiniemi, 1908-13
Joel Moilanen, 1914-15
John Lehtiniemi, 1916
Matti Kemppainen 1917-18
John Lehtiniemi, 1919-20
Joel Moilanen, 1921-22
Pastor Hugo Hillilä, 1923-27
Pastor K. V. Mykkänen, 1927-30
Pastor F. W. Kaskinen, 1931-36
Pastor Jacob Heikkinen, 1936-37
Pastor F. W. Kaskinen, 1937-39
Pastor M. N. Joensuu, .1939-43
Pastor Otto Mäki, 1943-45
Pastor Arvo J. Korhonen, 1945-52

Vice-chairmen:
Joel Moilanen, 1916
John Lehtiniemi, 1917-18
Matti Kemppainen, 1919
William Seppälä, 1920-21
John Noukki, 1922
Joel Moilanen, 1923
John Lehtiniemi, 1923-25
Joel Moilanen, 1926-29
Nels Autio, 1930
John Helberg, 1931-32
Joel Moilanen, 1933-44
William Seppälä 1945-47
Emil Keskinen, 1948
John Keskinen, 1949-50
William Seppälä, 1951-57
William Kallio, 1958

Secretaries:
Edward Herranen, 1900
Gabriel Rajala, 1900-06
Matti Pakkala, 1907-08
Ananias Lind, 1909-10
Nikolai Autio, 1910-11
John Helberg, 1912-14
William Seppälä, 1915-19
Joonas Wisuri, 1920
William Seppälä, 1921-23
John Helberg, 1924-25
William Seppälä, 1926-33
J. K. Kytölä, 1934
Victor Hill, 1935-36
William Seppälä, 1937
Geo. J. Sailo, 1938-42
Wilho J. Helberg, 1943-54
William Franti, 1955-

Treasurers:
Heikki Wooke, 1900-01
Otto Tarvainen, 1902-08
Herman Tarkka, 1908-09
Erik Eskel, 1910
John Eskel, 1911
Herman Tarkka, 1912-13
Herman Heikkilä, 1914-16
Walfrid Mäki, 1917-19
Nels Autio, 1920 .
Walfrid Mäki, 1921
Einar Kemppainen, 1922
J. K. Kytölä, 1923-25
Viktor Ikkelä, 1926--27
Herman Heikkilä, 1927
John Keskinen, 1929
John Eskel, 1930
Oskar Hakkarainen, 1931-36
Mrs. Ilmi Norman, 1937
Victor Hill, 1938-43
Simon Leaf, 1943-47
Arvid Laturi, 1948-56
Verner Eskel, 1957-

* "Retrospect 1908-1958. Trinity Lutheran Church, Covington, Mich." gives this date. Dr. J. E. Nopola, "Evankelis-Luterilainen Kansalliskirkko," p. 327, gives March 18, 1908.

Published in Bethany Church. Fiftieth Anniversary. 1900 - Covingtonin Bethania ev. lut. seurakunta - 1958. 1958.

[ Beginning of article ]