[ End of article ]

A Brief Historical Sketch

1870-1876 

Finns, Swedes and Norwegians of this area co-operated in church work. Built common church, Trinity Church, in 1876.

1876

Pastor Alfred E. Backman arrived from Finland to serve Finnish Church. First business meeting held Sept. 24. This is considered the birthday of our church. Past. Backman served to 1883.

1877

First parsonage built.

1885

Past. J. K. Nikander began to serve church from Hancock.

1889

Past. J. W. Eloheimo began ministry. Served until 1890.

1890

The Suomi Synod was established in Calumet March 25th.

1890

Sold part in Trinity Church to Norwegians and Swedes.

1891-1892 

Built own church. Dedicated Oct. 23d, 1892. Cost $6000.

1893

Past. E. W. Hynninen began ministry. Served until 1895.

1892

Sunday School work was started in November.

1895

Adopted name Bethlehem Lutheran at annual meeting in January.

1896

Past. J. H. Kampi arrived and served until 1898.

1896

The Ladies' Aid Society (ompeluseura) established.

1896

Choir established.

1897

Built new parsonage near church.

1897

First Vacation Bible School (kesakoulu) was conducted.

1898

Purchased pipe organ for church.

1899

Pastor A. W. Sederstrom began ministry of one year, to 1900.

1900

Purchased altar painting for church.

1900

Constructed basement under the church.

1900

Pastor P. Airaksinen called. Served until 1904.

1903

Purchased bell for church. Although that church has since burned this bell is still in use.

1904

Past. E. W. Siikanen became pastor. Served until his death in 1906. Buried in Calumet.

1905

Young People's Society (Nuorisoyhdistys) organized. Later this became the Luther League.

1907

Pastor V. Rautanen began a ministry of thirteen years. He served until 1920.

1908

The Emmaus Hall was built in Centennial Heights for Sunday School work and occasional services.

1920

Past. S. Autere called. He served for 22 years until 1942.

1928

New pipe organ purchased.

1930

The church burned to the ground January 11th.

1930-1931 

The present church built on Depot Street, Calumet. Dedicated Sept. 12-13, 1931. Cost including free labor $30,000.

1943

Past. Frans J. Koski began ministry of two years, until 1945.

1943

Present parsonage purchased on Seventh St., Calumet.

1938

Bethlehem Circle established. (This should be 2 lines above)

1944

Hammond organ purchased for church.

1945

Pastor Karl G. Wilkman called. Served for four years, to 1949.

1949

Past. Carl J. Tamminen became pastor. Still serving.

1951

Brotherhood established.

1951

Choir loft constructed and church painted.

1951

Seventy-fifth anniversary celebrated Oct. 7-14th.

 
No doubt more could have been added to this brief sketch, but we offer it in this very brief form. We might here add that English services were first conducted in 1934. At first six times a year. During Pastor Wilkman's ministry English services became regular and are now conducted every Sunday. In 1949 the Augustna Hymnal was adopted for use at the English services.

Published in the 75th Anniversary Booklet of the Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Calumet, Michigan 1876-1951. Calumetin, Michiganin Bethlehem lut. seurakunnan 75-vuotiskirjanen. Calumet, Michigan 1951.

[ Beginning of article ]