[ End of article ]
Rev. John Oberg
As no report has been received from the Finnish Apostolic Church the following is copied from "Religious Bodies," II, 1926, 828-829:
"The Finns, who first settled in Calumet, Mich., came principally from the northern part of Norway, and were identified with the State Church. Among them, however, were a number belonging to a party founded by Provost Lars Levi Laestadius, of Pajala, Sweden. Disagreements which arose between these and the other Lutherans at last became so acute that some of the followers of Laestadius were excluded from the Sacrament. Under the lead of Salomon Korteniemi these excluded members formed a congregation of their own in December, 1872, under the name of the Salomon Korteniemi Lutheran Society. In 1879 this name was changed to the Finnish Apostolic Lutheran Congregation. As other congregations of Finns in Mass., Mich., Minn., and Ore. were organized on the same basis, they came into fellowship with this body under the name of the Finnish Apostolic Lutheran Church, or, as ordinarily termed, the Apostolic Lutheran Church (Finnish). The churches accept in general the creeds of the Evangelical Lutheran Church and emphasize the necessity of regeneration and the practical importance of absolution from sin."
Although an absolute congregational polity prevailed in the past, on January 7, 1929, The Finnish Apostolic Lutheran Church of America was incorporated, with two districts, Eastern and Western, 20 ministers and 41 congregations enrolled. The annual convention held in Clatskanie, Oregon, June, 1931, was attended by about 3,000 Finns.
Published in The Lutheran World Almanac and Encyclopedia, 1931-1933. New York 1932, p. 62.
[ Beginning of article ]